An applicant must establish proof of identity and San Francisco residency when applying for an SF City ID Card at the County Clerk's Office. An application submitted on behalf of a minor must be completed by the minor's parent or legal guardian.
HOW TO APPLY:
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY-EACH APPLICANT MUST HAVE AN APPOINTMENT. FOR EXAMPLE, A FAMILY OF FOUR APPLYING FOR CITY ID CARDS, MUST HAVE FOUR SEPARATE APPOINTMENTS--ONE FOR EACH PERSON.
Make an appointment** up to 90 days in advance with the County Clerk ’s Office (Appointment process subject to change):
** Same day appointments are not available.
On your confirmed appointment date, arrive 10 minutes early at:
City Hall, Room 162
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102-4678
There, you will:
Appointments generally take 20 minutes.
Fill out an application (see "Application")
Show proof of identity and residency (see "Proof of Identity" and "Proof of Residency")
Pay a fee (see "Fees")
Get your picture taken
Receive your SF City ID Card before you leave your appointment.
English (PDF) - Application for Individual 13 Years and Younger
Spanish (PDF) - Application for Individual 13 Years and Younger
Chinese (PDF) - Application for Individual 13 Years and Younger
English (PDF) - Application for Individual 14 Years and Older
Spanish (PDF) - Application for Individual 14 Years and Older
Chinese (PDF) - Application for Individual 14 Years and Older
Payments in cash only.
- Child (13 yrs of age and younger) - $5
- Adult (14 yrs of age and older) - $15
- Senior (62 yrs of age and older) - $5
- Low-Income* - $5
* Low-Income: You will need to show proof of income eligibility to qualify for this fee reduction. Sample documents that you may present include: enrollment in food stamps, Medi-Cal, CalWORKS, public housing, free and reduced school lunch, MUNI Lifeline program, etc.
CITY ID CARD RENEWALS AND CHANGE OF ADDRESS (APPOINTMENT AND FEE REQUIRED):
Proof of Identity may be satisfied by surrendering a current SF City ID Card issued to a cardholder who previously applied on a 14+ years of age application.
SF City ID Card holders who were previously issued a SF City ID Card as a minor (13 years and younger) must meet the Proof of Identity and Proof of Residency requirements for applicants age 14+ years of age as listed in SF Administrative Code Section 95.2. Proof of Identity cannot be satisfied by surrendering a “minor” (13 years and younger) San Francisco City ID Card.
Proof of Residency must be presented from the approved list of documents and dated within 30 days of applying for a renewal of a SF City ID Card.
PROOF OF IDENTITY AND RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
If a card is lost, stolen, or destroyed, a new appointment must be made, applicant must apply for, meet all requirements once again, and pay fee for replacement card.
List of Acceptable Identity and Residency Documents (PDF)
PROOF OF IDENTITY (Absolutely no exceptions)
On the date and time of appointment, valid Proof of Identity Documents MUST be:
ONE of the following unexpired documents in English (must display applicant's photograph and date of birth):
Or, TWO of the following unexpired documents in English (at least one document must display applicant's date of birth and photograph*):
*The photograph requirement does not apply to applicants 13 and under
- US or Foreign Passport:
- US Driver's License
- US State ID
- US Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Consular Identification (CID)
- Photo ID Card issued by another Country to its citizens or nationals that meets the requirements of San Francisco Administrative Code 95.1(a)
NOTE: Applicants 13 and under may also present:
- Birth certificate (certified copy; photograph not required)
- Certified Copy of US or Foreign Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- National ID Card with photo, name, address, date of birth, and expiration date
- Foreign Driver's License
- US or Foreign Military Identification Card
- Current Visa issued by a government agency
- US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) authorization letter
- California Educational Institution Identification Card: elementary, middle, secondary and post secondary schools
NOTE: Applicants 13 and under may also present the following (at least one document must display date of birth; photograph not required):
- Official medical record
- Official school record
PROOF OF RESIDENCY (Absolutely no exceptions)
On the date and time of appointment, Proof of Residency Documents MUST be:
ONE of the following documents containing the applicant's name and residential address within San Francisco:
- Utility bill dated within the last 30 days
- Local property tax statement or mortgage payment receipt dated within the last 30 days
- Bank account statement dated within the last 30 days
- Proof of a minor currently enrolled in a San Francisco school
- Employment pay stub dated within the last 30 days
- Written ruling, order or notice from the Residential Rent Stabilization and Arbitration Board dated within the last 30 days
- Jury summons or court order issued by a state or federal court and dated within the last 30 days
- Federal or state income tax or refund statement dated within the last 30 days
- Insurance bill (homeowner’s, renter’s, health, life or automobile insurance) dated within the last 30 days
- Written verification issued by a homeless shelter that receives City funding confirming at least 15 days residency within the last 30 days
- Written verification issued by a hospital, health clinic or social services agency that receives City funding confirming at least 15 days residency within the last 30 days
- If a certified copy of a marriage certificate is presented at the time of application, an applicant may prove residency using documents bearing the name of his/her spouse.
NOTE: For applicants 13 and under unable to provide residency documents, a parent or legal guardian may verify the child's residency, provided the parent or guardian would be eligible for a City Identification Card him or herself.